Monday, 3 December 2012
Lea & Perrins Factory Tour
On __________, I was a part of a guided tour through the Lea & Perrins factory in Worcester. Here we learnt the process of manufacture of the sauce.
Firstly, we were taken into the lower rooms (basement) of the factory, where the ingredients such as garlic and onions were being fermented in barrels (these were cleaned out on rotation).
We were then taken out behind the factory where we discovered that their aim as a company is to downsize their input to landfill to zero (hopefully with a little help from our designs!)
We were then taken along into the main factory floor where we learnt more about the current design of the packaging, including the bottle labels and the cardboard trays used to distribute to shops.
The cardboard trays were an element of the design I hadn't really thought of before the factory visit, as I was focusing mainly on the label design and the sustainability of the actual bottle itself. Our guide discussed with us how important these trays were for not only transport purposes, but also for marketing and drawing attention to their product/s.
Overall, I found the Lea & Perrins tour to be helpful in the sense that we could view the manufacture of the sauce first-hand, get a real feel for what the company are looking for, and understand their stance on the original Lea & Perrins bottle design.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment